Injuries after a car accident aren’t always obvious. While the pain of a broken bone, deep cut, or burn is felt almost immediately, chest, neck, or back pain may be slow to emerge. A car accident is a stressful event that causes adrenaline and cortisol to flood into your bloodstream further masking pain. A person’s ability to accurately self-diagnose following a car accident is terrible. As a result, delayed pain after a Kansas City car accident is all too common, and can indicate serious delayed injuries that necessitate medical attention. It’s important to understand how these hidden injuries can affect both your health and the value of a claim.
If you were in an accident in Missouri or Kansas and are wondering what to do if your symptoms are getting worse over time, please contact Kansas City car accident lawyer Donovan Dodrill.
Common Symptoms After a Car Accident in Missouri or Kansas
Car accidents can lead to a range of physical and mental symptoms that may not appear immediately. Experiencing pain in the neck, back, or head is common in the days following a car accident, as are feelings of numbness, dizziness, or disorientation. These symptoms can be confusing and alarming, especially when they surface days or weeks following the accident.
- Whiplash: This injury occurs due to sudden, forceful movement of the neck and can result in neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and dizziness. Symptoms might not present themselves until several days after the accident.
- Back and Neck Pain: This can manifest as a consistent ache or sharp pain. The discomfort could indicate a variety of conditions, from a herniated disc to a sprain or strain.
- Headaches: A post-traumatic headache might develop immediately after the accident or up to a week later. These could signal whiplash, concussion, or even a more serious condition like a blood clot.
- Numbness: Loss of feeling in arms and hands can be a symptom of whiplash or a sign of a herniated disc.
- Dizziness: This can be a sign of a concussion, whiplash, or an injury to the neck or brain.
- Abdominal Pain: This could indicate internal injuries, which are often life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
- Behavioral Changes or Personality Shifts: These can be signs of a traumatic brain injury.
- PTSD Symptoms: Some individuals might experience flashbacks, nightmares, or heightened anxiety following an auto accident, indicative of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Sleep Disruptions: Insomnia or excessive sleeping could indicate a variety of issues, from mild concussion to more serious brain injuries.
It’s important to note that ignoring any symptoms after an accident could lead to permanent impairment or even a life-threatening condition. It’s imperative that you seek immediate medical attention after an accident, even if symptoms are not immediately present. Keeping a detailed record of your symptoms and medical visits can be instrumental in any legal action you might need to take.
When do Symptoms Appear?
The onset of symptoms after a car accident varies from person to person. Some individuals might experience pain immediately following the collision, while others might not feel anything until days or even weeks later. For example, whiplash, a common injury associated with car accidents, might not show symptoms for 24 to 48 hours after the incident.
The Unseen Danger: Delayed Injuries After a Kansas City Car Accident
One type of delayed injury is soft tissue injury. These soft tissue injuries involve damage to the body’s ligaments, tendons, or muscles, and can be especially difficult to diagnose because they don’t show up on X-rays. These types of injuries can cause significant pain and loss of function, with symptoms including pain, swelling, bruising, and loss of range of motion.
Putting off medical attention after a car accident can lead to complications in your personal injury case. The insurance provider of the other party involved may claim that your injuries were not a result of the automobile collision. They could reason that if the accident was indeed the source of your injuries, you would have received medical treatment immediately following the incident.
However, if you pursue medical attention and consistently report every symptom as they manifest or intensify, you have a solid medical record to back your injury claim. Maintaining comprehensive medical documentation of your car accident injuries boosts the likelihood of securing the highest possible compensation for your injuries and related damages. The important thing to remember is that delaying medical treatment can be a costly mistake! Be sure to get proper medical care as soon as possible after a car accident.
How Long After an Accident can Whiplash Symptoms Appear?
Whiplash is an acceleration-deceleration injury to the neck due to forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck, like the “cracking of a whip.” Symptoms may appear within hours of the accident, or it may take several days. It’s always important to seek medical attention immediately after an accident, even if you don’t feel hurt.
Types of Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Apart from whiplash and back injuries, car accidents can cause a variety of other injuries, ranging from mild to severe. These might include concussions, broken bones, knee trauma, and even psychological injuries like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Psychological aspects of a car accident fall under the umbrella of a tort cause of action called the Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress (NIED).
What Should You Do If You Experience Delayed Symptoms?
If you’re experiencing symptoms after auto accidents, it’s crucial to get medical attention immediately. This could involve visiting a doctor or seeking chiropractic care after an accident. It’s also important to document your symptoms and medical visits, as this information can be crucial in any subsequent legal action.
Why Choose Donovan Dodrill as Your Personal Injury Attorney?
If you’re experiencing pain after a car accident and believe it’s due to someone else’s negligence, you may have a legal claim. At Plaza Injury Law, Donovan Dodrill leverages his expertise in personal injury law to guide and represent clients with compassion and diligence. He understands the physical and emotional toll of car accidents, and he is committed to helping you navigate the complexities of the legal system. With his dedicated service since 2005, you’ll receive personalized attention, advice tailored to your unique situation, and a relentless advocate in your corner fighting for your rights.
Car accidents are traumatic, and the delayed onset of symptoms can complicate your recovery. But with the right legal counsel, you can focus on healing while your attorney focuses on your legal claim. Let Donovan Dodrill and the Plaza Injury Law team support and guide you through this challenging time. Schedule a confidential consultation and take the first step towards getting the compensation you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a delayed injury after a car accident? A delayed injury refers to symptoms or conditions that don’t present immediately following a car accident but appear hours, days, or even weeks later. These can include whiplash, concussions, soft tissue injuries, and psychological conditions like PTSD.
- What should I do if I notice symptoms days after my car accident? If you notice any symptoms surfacing days after your car accident, seek medical attention immediately. This is crucial for your health and for documenting your injuries in case you need to make a legal claim.
- Can I still claim personal injury if symptoms didn’t appear immediately? Yes, you can still pursue a personal injury claim even if your symptoms didn’t appear immediately. Delayed injuries are common in car accidents, and a personal injury attorney can help you navigate this process.
- What kind of compensation can I get for my car accident injuries? Compensation varies depending on the specifics of your case, but it generally covers medical bills, loss of earnings, pain and suffering, and sometimes property damage.
- Why should I choose Donovan Dodrill as my personal injury attorney? Donovan Dodrill of Plaza Injury Law provides expert, compassionate representation for car accident victims. He understands the complexities of delayed injuries and is committed to ensuring you receive the maximum compensation you’re entitled to.