Call Donovan Dodrill To Help With Your Slip & Fall Accident Claim
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury due to a property owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to receive compensation. Call Donovan Dodrill at (816) 945-4409 for a free consultation. Your losses can be more than the cost of medical bills. They can include lost wages, long-term disabilities, and emotional trauma. Contact Plaza Injury Law today for a free consultation to see if you can receive a settlement. It will help to have an experienced attorney familiar with the law to protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Attorney Donovan Bradley Dodrill was named Rising Star and Superlawyer in 2015 and was voted by his peers among the Best of the Bar in 2015 and 2016. In addition, in 2019, Attorney Dodrill was named among the Ten Best Attorneys for Exceptional and Outstanding Customer Service by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
Slip and Fall Injury Accidents: What You Need to Know
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, at any time. They can result in serious injuries, such as broken bones, head injuries, hip fractures, and even spinal cord injuries – and they happen more often than you’d expect. In Kansas City, lawsuits that arise from these accidents due to negligent property owners frequently result in substantial compensation for the victims. People of all ages can suffer from accidents caused by irresponsible third parties, and Donovan is here to help. If you have been involved in a slip and fall, you must take the proper steps to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
The first priority should always be to seek medical attention for your injuries. This will ensure you receive the proper care and treatment and will create a medical record of your injuries and their cause. These medical records can be crucial in establishing liability in a slip and fall case.
Suppose you have been involved in a slip-and-fall accident. In that case, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Attorney Donovan Dodrill has eighteen years of experience helping people understand their rights. Donovan can guide you through the process and maximize the value of your claim. It is important, however, that you call our Kansas City law firm as soon as possible after the accident.
How to Prove Fault in a Premises Liability Claim:
Premises claims are complex because they are factually intense. To ensure a successful outcome for your premises liability claim, you should work with an experienced personal injury law firm. The earlier a slip-and-fall attorney is involved, the greater your chances of success.
A premises claim, like other personal injury claims predicated on a negligence theory, consist of four elements:
- 1. Duty of care: The property owner must owe you a legal duty.
- a. Different duties are owed to you depending upon why you are on the property.
- (1) A Licensee is a friend (Social Guest) on the premises, usually just for fun. Property owners owe Licensees a duty to remediate or warn of pre-existing defective conditions they knew or should have known about. This standard is easier to meet than that of a Business Invitee.
- (2) A Business Invitee is on the premises for the property owner’s benefit (usually monetary). Property owners owe Business Invitees merely a duty to remediate or warn of any defective conditions on the premises that they knew or should have known about before the injury occurred. In this case, a property owner must have been made aware of the defective condition within a reasonable amount of time before the injury. The law defines it as a reasonable time because what is reasonable will change depending on the circumstances.
- 2. Breach of that duty
- 3. Causation
- 4. Damages: The failure of the property owner must have directly caused an injury or other damages.
Proving a property owner was at fault for your accident is not something to handle alone. Having a law firm gather evidence, such as photos of the accident scene, witness statements, and relevant documents will strengthen your claim because they know exactly what to look for, who to talk to, and the right questions to ask. Donovan will work to negotiate a fair settlement with the property owner or their insurance company.
Do Insurance Companies Pay for Slip and Fall Injuries?
Yes, they do … if and when an attorney successfully negotiates a personal injury claim. However, an insurance company may deny a claim for many reasons, especially in a slip and fall accident. While laws differ, in Missouri and Kansas, Assumption of the Risk and other comparative fault theories are often used as a defense successfully by insurance companies. There are also complicated rules (both statutory and concerning the rules of evidence) about how to pursue and prove your case in court. For these reasons, you should consult a Kansas City slip and fall lawyer about your case.
Who is at Fault in a Slip and Fall Case?
If a settlement cannot be reached, Attorney Dodrill can represent you in court to fight for the compensation you deserve. Donovan will use his knowledge of the law and experience handling slip-and-fall cases to build a strong argument on your behalf.
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident, it is important to take action as soon as possible. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims can vary from state to state, so please consult with Donovan as quickly as possible to ensure you don’t miss your opportunity to file a claim.
In conclusion, slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries and significantly impact your life. Suppose you have been involved in a slip-and-fall accident. In that case, it is important to seek medical attention and consult with a slip and fall lawyer or a personal injury lawyer to understand your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries in Kansas City:
When you trip over a broken sidewalk or fall on a slippery, wet surface, a negligent property owner may be to blame. It’s important to watch for hazardous conditions on any property as they are all too common. A few common examples include:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: This can include spills, leaks, rain, snow, or ice.
- Uneven surfaces: These may be cracked or broken sidewalks, potholes, or uneven flooring.
- Loose rugs or mats: Rugs or carpets that need to be properly secured can cause tripping hazards.
- Poor lighting: Inadequate lighting can make it difficult to see obstacles, leading to trips and falls.
- Stairs or railings: Stairs or railings that are in disrepair or do not meet safety standards can cause falls.
- Obstacles in walkways: This can include clutter, boxes, or other items left in walkways, creating tripping hazards.
- Defective or broken elevators or escalators: Malfunctioning elevators or escalators can cause falls and other injuries.
Commercial property owners are responsible for keeping their property safe and free from hazardous conditions that can cause slip-and-fall accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured, it is important to seek the help of a qualified personal injury attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options for seeking compensation.
What are the Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries?
When you are hurt in a slip and fall, the amount of money you can recover from an irresponsible property owner will vary depending upon the severity of the injury. The list below includes some of the more common injuries that result from slip and fall accidents:
- Hip fractures are a common slip-and-fall injury for older adults, and the damage can be extensive. Far too often, their mobility is permanently affected.
- Knee and ankle injuries can range from broken bones and sprains to torn ligaments, which may require surgery and even permanent hardware.
- Shoulder injuries often result from a fall, which typically includes damage to soft tissues through sprain, strain, and tear injuries (such as rotator cuff tears).
- A severe trip and fall can cause soft tissue damage to your neck and back, including the muscles, joints, and ligaments. Herniated discs can result from fall injuries.
- Head trauma, including brain injury, is always possible with a serious fall and can result in cognitive impairment, including concussions, seizures, and memory loss.
- Even death is possible with a severe fall, especially if it involves falling down stairs or from a significant height. Anyone can suffer fatal injuries from a slip and fall or other premises liability accidents. However, falls are a top cause of death for adults ages 65 and up.
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. They can result in injuries that have a lasting impact on a person’s life. If you or a loved one has been involved in a slip and fall accident, be sure to get in touch with a qualified attorney as soon as possible.
Contact an Award-Winning Personal Injury Attorney Today:
Donovan Dodrill has extensive experience handling cases similar to yours. He has helped clients just like you with slip and fall injury claims. As a local practicing attorney, he is familiar with all the laws and regulations specific to Missouri and Kansas and can help you through this process and avoid potential pitfalls. He is dedicated and compassionate and has a track record of success in securing fair compensation for clients throughout the Kansas City metro.
Contact slip and fall lawyer Donovan Bradley Dodrill of Plaza Injury Law at 816-945-4409 today for a free, no-obligation consultation to get started.